Meaningful school planning is a process, not an event…NVSD School Planning Working Group
School planning is a collaborative process whereby we identify the strengths of our school and areas for further development for our students and ourselves. School planning enhances and supports meaningful learning and development at the classroom, school and district levels.
To this end, through our stakeholder working group we identified three essential strands to inform and guide the school planning process: 1) Values and Vision; 2) Engagement and Learning; and 3) Collaboration, Communication, and Community. These strands form the intended outcomes and provide clarity of focus for school planning and development. In addition, we have developed a practical web based tool kit for school planning teams to support their Vision to Action Process.
See Your School Plan
The School Plan is a living document that articulates the shared priorities by the school community for Enhancing Student Learning.
School priorities are determined through a collaborative appreciative inquiry process that highlights the strengths of the school and areas for future development. School planning is a part of the ongoing process of ensuring Vibrant Learning Communities for students, staff, and community.
North Vancouver Distributed Learning
Carson Graham Secondary
Upper Lynn Elementary
Sherwood Park Elementary
Ross Road Elementary
Queen Mary Community Elementary
Norgate Community Elementary
Lynn Valley Elementary
Dorothy Lynas Elementary
Cove Cliff Elementary
Seymour Heights Elementary
Canyon Heights Elementary
Respect, Responsibility, Safety
The staff of Canyon Heights began a year ago to look at our school climate.
We were curious about how we could create a more positive, respectful school climate, but we needed more information.
Values and Vision
- Begins with an understanding of classroom and school strengths
- Reflects and builds on the shared values of the district, school, and community
- Supports a school-wide focus on diversity, student engagement and learning
- Highlights and values current practice while identifying areas for focused development
- Reflects school-wide commitment to continuous improvement and life-long learning
Engagement and Learning
- Encompasses the core goals of public schooling: intellectual, human and social, and career development.
- Provides a clear focus on the development of educational practice:
- Curriculum Design
- Instructional Differentiation
- Assessment For, As and Of Learning
- Social Emotional Learning
- Plans for Student Diversity with particular consideration of students of Aboriginal ancestry, children in care and students with special needs
Collaboration, Communication and Community
- Values a collaborative process that involves educational partners in frank, rich and respectful dialogue
- Considers connections with school, community, Family of Schools and district Professional Learning Opportunities
- Includes priorities/goals, actions, and progress monitoring
- Enables a multi-year school plan, published as a living document that is reviewed, refined and reported on annually to the school’s community